Throughout the years I have tried many recipes of carrot cake as it happens to be one of my favourite cakes. This time the challenge was to find a recipe that would be healthier and at the same time provided energy for the weekend ahead.
I used whole wheat flour and brown sugar. You don’t need a lot of sugar because the fruit, carrots and raisins already provide a sweet taste. The use of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg add to its special flavour. My family loved this recipe and the cake disappeared quite fast. Even my three year old daughter loved this healthy carrot cake! I think it is a very tasty and healthy alternative for breakfast.
It was adapted from a recipe by the Portuguese Chef Mafalda Pinto Leite.
Healthy Carrot Cake
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 100 ml/3.3 fl oz sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 carrots, grated (about 140g/4.9 oz)
- 1 apple, grated
- 100 g/3.5 oz raisins
- 1 orange, zest and 1 tbsp of juice
- 175 g/6 oz self-rising whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Line a springform baking pan (28cm x 18 cm/11 in x 7 in) with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl mix well the sugar, sunflower oil, vanilla and the eggs. Add the carrots, the apple, raisins, zest of one orange and 1 tbsp orange juice and mix in until well incorporated.
- Sift the baking soda, flour and spices over the wet batter. Fold in carefully just until it gets incorporated. Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. This time it took me exactly 25 minutes for the cake to be ready.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down completely. You can serve it with a bit of low fat cream or with light cream cheese with a bit of icing sugar , a few drops of orange juice and orange zest. It is simply delicious!
As for the Mango Yogurt Smoothie it was refreshing and a great pairing for the healthy Carrot Cake. I used non fat yogurt and just loved the touch of the Cardamom. I adapted it rom a recipe by the Mexican Chef Oropeza.
Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- 2 mangos, pit removed and halved
- 3 cups non fat natural yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
Put all the ingredients into an electric blender and blend until smooth and creamy. It will have a thick consistency.
Enjoy another Healthy Breakfast!
You may also like :