The weekend is approaching and I decided it is time to cut back on the wonderful Mexican breakfasts we’ve been having at different restaurants each weekend. I have to admit that the appearance of some unwelcome new curves played a big part in it.
I’ve been studying new healthier alternatives and I’ve decided to give you different options each week to the best of my abilities. I had considered starting a series after I published the Raspberry shake & Oatmeal with pears and vanilla. So just consider this as the second installment in the series.
The Apple Pancakes were really a great choice. The wholewheat flour, the oatmeal flakes and the brown sugar are all healthier alternatives. I also used low fat milk and instead of the butter to line the pan, I used cooking spray. I adapted the recipe from Mafalda Pinto Leite.
Healthy Apple pancakes
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/4 cup wholewheat flour
- 2 tbsp oatmeal flakes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 apples grated
- cooking spray or unsalted butter
- greek yogurt, optional
- Mix the two varieties of flour, the oatmeal flakes, sugar, baking powder and the cinnamon in a bowl. Make a hole in the center.
- In a different bowl mix with a fork the milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour into the hole of the dry ingredients. Add the grated apples and incorporate gently with the fork.
- Warm a big pan to medium heat. Spray the bottom with cooking spray. Pour 2 tbsp of the dough into the pan for each pancake. Cook until bubbles start appearing on the surface, then turn the pancakes and cook on the other side for 2 or 3 minutes more. Repeat the process until you use all the dough.
- Serve them warm with greek yogurt if you like.
The Vegan Juice went very well with the pancakes. I used spinach and chard but you can use other greens.
Vegan Green Juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 1/2 cups frozen mango
- 2 ripe big bananas
- 1 glass of ice
- 2 handfuls of greens (spinach, chard, etc)
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
You may also like: