For this week’s healthy breakfast series I chose very healthy pancakes with blueberry mint sauce. They are thin, only take one egg, very little sugar and I used lactose free low fat milk. What makes them extra special is without a doubt, the wonderful blueberry mint sauce. The fresh mint worked wonders with the sweetness and freshness of the blueberries. My family loved it. This was adapted from a recipe by Argentinian Chef Chakall.
Pancakes with Blueberry Mint Sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 300 ml/1 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 250 g/8.8 oz all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- cooking spray
- 200 g/7 oz blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- In a bowl whisk the eggs with the sugar. Continue beating while you gradually add the milk and the tbsp of melted butter. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Make a hole in the center of the flour and whisking continuously, gradually add the wet batter until smooth and creamy. Cover it and put it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan, put the blueberries, the sugar and the fresh mint leaves. Cook for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Remove the batter from the fridge and line a pancake pan or small pan with cooking spray. Add one soup laddle of the batter to the pan and cook until bubbles start appearing on the surface. Then turn the pancake and cook on the other side for 2 or three minutes more. Repeat the process until you use all the dough. Heat a bit the blueberry mint sauce.
- Place the pancakes on a plate and cover with the warm blueberry mint sauce. Enjoy!
As I was feeling under the weather I decided to match these wonderful pancakes with an Anti-Flu juice. The combination of the apples, orange, carrots and ginger with its immune boosting characteristics, made me feel much better. This was also adapted from a recipe by Chef Chakall.
- 3 apples, peeled and core cut
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 cm/0.7 in fresh ginger
- 1 orange, peeled
- 2 glasses water (about 3 cups)
- Crushed ice (optional)
Put in an electric blender the apples, carrots, ginger, orange and blend. Add the water and blend again until smooth. Serve fresh with the crushed ice if desired.
Enjoy the sweetness and the freshness of these two great healthy recipes. Have a wonderful weekend!
You may also like: