As promised here is another healthy breakfast just before the weekend (check the previous Raspberry shake with Cardamom & Oatmeal with Pears and vanilla and Healthy Apple Pancakes & Vegan Green Juice). The Yogurt with muesli and nectarines is a favourite in my house. These recipes were adapted from the Mexican Chef Monica Patino
If you can get hold of organic yogurt, even better. The muesli is home made. It is great when you can do your own muesli and weekends are the perfect time to try it. You can play with different combinations and it is much healthier as well since you know exactly what it contains. The first thing you do then is the muesli, since it needs to be ready when you assemble this recipe.
- 60 g/2 oz unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups oatmeal flakes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup dry cranberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup peeled pistachios, roughly chopped
- grated zest of 1 orange
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF. Put the butter and honey together in a saucepan. Heat until the butter is melted. Put it aside. In a bowl mix together the oatmeal, the silvered almonds and the grated coconut. Pour in the butter, honey mixture and fold in well. Spread the mixture in a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes. Take it out momentarily to mix once again. Put it back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes more until crispy and golden.
- Let it co0l down. Fold in the dry cranberries, the pumpkin seeds, the pistachios and the orange zest and it is ready!
Yogurt with Muesli and Nectarines
- 4 nectarines
- 4 tbsp honey
- 400 ml/1 3/4 cup natural yogurt
- 8 tbsp muesli
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Wash the nectarines, cut them in half and remove the stones. In a grilling pan, grill them on both sides starting with the inside. They are ready when you can see the grill marks, they appear golden and are medium cooked. Move them to a bowl, drizzle with the honey and season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the two halves of each nectarine in an individual bowl. Half fill it with the yogurt and accompany it with the muesli. It is so good!
As for the juice, it is the perfect complement to such a great breakfast. It gives you the energy you need to start the day. It is full of vitamins and antioxidants.
- 6 oranges
- 3 lemons
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 granny smith apples, washed, peeled, cut in cubes
- 25 g/1 oz fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of parsley
- ice cubes to taste
Squeeze the juice of the oranges and lemons. In an electric blender, blend the celery, apples, parsley and ginger together. Add the citric juices and blend. Serve with ice.