This is really a great cake and so easy to make! It is moist and soft and it is hard to believe it is made with whole wheat flour. The almonds and the honey just give it a nutty, sweet flavour.
It is a Portuguese recipe adapted from Chef Mafalda Pinto Leite.
- 250 g ( 8.8 oz) of unsalted butter
- 200 g (7 oz) of brown or yellow sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150 g (5.3 0z)whole wheat flour
- 150 g (5.3 oz) almond meal or ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g (1.7 oz) silvered almonds
- 4 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 170º C (338º F) Grease a 24 cm (9.5-inch) springform baking pan with butter and then line the bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together until creamy and smooth. Whisk in the eggs one by one , adding each time a tbsp of flour. Add the almond meal and mix it well. Sift the flour with the baking powder and add it to the mixture, fold in until just incorporated. Don’t worry if you feel the batter looks a bit dry, it is suppose to be that way. The cake will still be moist and soft.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and level the surface. Sprinkle evenly with the silvered almonds. Put it in the oven and bake it for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Spread evenly the honey over it while it is still warm. Let it cool a bit before serving.
A tablespoon of natural Greek yogurt is a great complement. You can also add a few strawberries or raspberries.