Salmon with tomato and corn salad is without a doubt, one of my favourite recipes. Being Portuguese and from Lisbon, fish is a constant protein in my diet. Every time I go back to my country on vacation, I always look forward to the great variety of fresh fish and seafood. One of my favourite things is to go to Estoril, walk along the beach promenade direction Cascais and stop along the way at one of the many seaside restaurants. I usually ask for the catch of the day and have it grilled and accompany it with a bit of Portuguese olive oil. It is wonderful how the simplest ingredients can be so special.
With such an array of fresh fish available, I seldom choose salmon when I’m in Portugal. I leave it for when I live abroad and the variety of fish is more limited. I do love the taste and try to find new flavors to go with it. This recipe, adapted from the Portuguese chef Mafalda Pinto Leite, was just what I was looking for. What makes it so special is the sauce of the tomato and corn salad, that really highlights the taste of the salmon. It is fresh, vibrant and inspired by latin flavors. It is also a very fast and easy to do recipe.
Salmon with Tomato and Corn Salad
- 1 small red chili, fresh, seedless and thinly chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 cups cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 small box of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 4 salmon fillets
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Mix together in a bowl the red chili, the sugar, the juice and zest of the lime, the orange juice and the soya sauce until the sugar dissolves.
- Place the cilantro and mint leaves in a bowl and add the tomatoes, the corn and the onion. Mix well and set aside.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper to taste. Heat the olive oil in medium/high heat in a skillet that can also go to the oven. Add the salmon and cook for two minutes on each side. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more or to taste.
- Before serving pour the sauce over the salad and fold in well.
- Place each salmon fillet in a plate and cover with the salad. I served it with wild rice but white rice will also go well with it.
Enjoy, it is a beautiful dish!