What do you look for in a salad? I’m always looking for new ideas when it comes to salads. Either as a starter or light meal, freshness and bold flavours are on top of my list.
This wonderful strawberry salad with almonds and Jamon serrano was a perfect choice. It has a rich vinaigrette of extra virgin olive oil, honey, lemon and thyme that emphasizes the sweetness of the strawberries with just the right amount of acidity. The saltiness of the ham and the slight crunch of the almonds are a nice complement.
Strawberry salad with almonds
(adapted from a recipe by Chef Lula)
- 400 g (14 oz) of lettuce
- 200 g (7 oz) strawberries cut in slices or quarters
- 250 g (8 oz) Jamon Serrano
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) silvered and toasted almonds
Honey and lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of honey
- scant tbsp of dried thyme
- 1/2 tbsp of salt
- 1/2 tbsp of freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and dry the lettuce and strawberries. Preheat the oven to 180º ( 350ºF) . Line a baking tray with aluminum foil, place the slices of Jamon Serrano and bake them for 20 minutes or until crispy. Cut them in half and let them cool down.
- Whisk the honey, lemon juice and olive oil until well combined. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper.
To serve in a bowl spread the lettuce on the bottom and pour over it three-quarters of the vinaigrette. Then add the strawberries on top, spread the rest of vinaigrette and sprinkle with the silvered toasted almonds. Arrange the slices of Jamon Serrano around the bowl.