I do love crispy chicken strips but after seeing so many fattening fried chicken recipes, I was determined to find a healthier alternative. This healthy baked chicken strips recipe is a great option for a light lunch or dinner. If you have friends over it is also something that won’t take much of your time or will be messy since it goes into the oven all at the same time and it will take about 15 minutes to be ready. There are no eggs in this recipe, you dip the chicken in natural greek yogurt which also helps cut the fat.
If you are afraid they won’t be as crispy as the fried ones, you have nothing to worry about, they are great. As a dip, I chose a cilantro garlic yogurt sauce. It was fresh and went perfectly with the crispy chicken. You can make it spicier by adding sweet chili or a few chili seeds like I did. You can make all the strips the same size, although I didn’t bother and even prepared a few smaller pieces for my daughter who loved it. This recipe was adapted from Mafalda Pinto Leite.
Healthy Baked Chicken Strips
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs ( I used whole wheat bread crumbs)
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 4 chicken breasts (750g/26.4 oz), all fat removed
- 2 cups natural low fat greek yogurt
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup natural low fat greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce (optional) or chili seeds to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the bread crumbs, the corn flour and the grated parmesan cheese. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Cut the chicken into about 2 cm/0.7 inches strips and dip them into the greek yogurt shaking off the excess. Then coat the chicken with the bread mixture. Place the chicken strips in the baking tray and sprinkle with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- In the meantime prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing well all the ingredients in a bowl. Serve with the chicken strips. The chicken strips were crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, so delicious!
So next time you feel like having fried chicken just think how easy it is to make this healthier delicious alternative.
You may also like: